Tuesday, October 30, 2012

12:01 a.m. I'm Heading Into Insanity


I've always thought actors and writers have a lot in common, despite the forms in which they play in. We are both donning on a personality, a world that is not our own. It takes a certain kind of preparation and with every actor, with every writer there's a different degree in which they go. 

I'm about to head into NaNo and that means pounding out 50k in 30 days. That's 1667 words a day. Nothing in the scheme of things for me. When I'm really on a roll I can knock out 3k a day. But the thing that makes it uncertain is that I have to be in the world I'm writing. I have to know the characters skin I'm slipping into. How they see the world and the words they'll use to describe it. I have to know where the story will end up. This last is the most important. If I don't know what I'm writing to I don't know why I'm writing. I don't have tunnel vision and that's makes the difference of skating with 100 words in a 24 hour period and being able to easily get down 3k.
 

That's why NaNo is insanity. It's making a personal promise, for the world to see, that I'm going to figure out that ending. I'm going to complete a full story filled with plot and characters and something that gives me a workable start. Because first drafts are a workable start. At least for me.

So, I'm listening to Sail by Awolnation on repeat. I'll probably head to my Pinterest to get some pics to see the world that gives me a bit of a guide. 

But really, I'm heading into the land of insanity.  

Wish me luck. Hopefully, I can regain my sanity December 1st.

 

1 comment:

  1. Well said! It's got to be nerve-wracking, going into NaNoWriMo like that, not sure if you'll get 1,667 words a day, or 3,000, or just 100. Good luck with your ending. I hope you get it figured out. I know you can do this. Go, go, gooooo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete