Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Longer I Write, The More I Need To Refill My Well

When I first started writing I didn't know there was such a thing as a writing well. I wrote happily when I wanted to. Didn't write when I didn't want to. I fluttered around all cutsie-like calling things muses and inspiration. If I could go back in time I would take a rolled up newspaper and hit me on the nose, "Sit down and write, you fluff for brains."

And then I got serious about writing. During this time I also worked full time and went to school (damn near) full time. At home time was split between raising my children, homework and writing. I got a lot of writing and revising done. A lot. I don't know how I did it, but I do know after two straight years of doing it I crashed and burned. Hard. Now I can't say with 100 percent certainty that I would have been perfectly fine if I'd done one simple thing. I can say I would have been better. When I crashed and burned I would have had a cushion to land on, but I didn't. So I went splat.

Now I know like that saying goes if you work hard, you've got to play hard. No excuses. No feeling guilty for taking care of yourself when there's still something on the to-do list. Life feeds into craft and craft feeds into life. I've got to live it. I've got to play. Then I can be serious about writing.

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of playing. You do know you are only encouraging my procrastination by posting things like this? Lol.

    I'm off to write. Play later :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interwebs ate my reply. But it's still the same, Can't blame me for the procrastination. lol

    ReplyDelete