The WIP has not been going well at all. I've done all my front work--did a collage and made a soundtrack. I've written out the GMC and a blurb. I've got character details written out. And still nothing sparked.
This is where the trouble started, because I decided to format an e-book. I know enough about HTML to not get too lost when people start speaking in code. I did a little research and hit a goldmine. Guido Henkel did a wonderful series on formatting an e-book. Step by freaking step he tells you how to get your book from a document to an e-book.
Easy as pie. Right?
Of course not, because I am the inspiration for Murphy's Law. For example, I spent hours upon hours trying to figure out how to make a particular file in Jedit (a wonderful program that lets you code) into an html. Hours. A little more research and all I had to do was type .html at the end of the file. Ok. I was still game for this. I mean, if I learned how to do this... I don't know, I could conquer the world.
Got the book all ready and roaring to go for the simple step of finding and replacing all " " ' ... and anything else that requires an English to HTML translation. Turns out you need plugins. I did some more research to find out what specific plugin I needed. Download. Find out that plugin needs a plugin. Ok. Still game. Download. THAT plugin needs a different plugin. Turns out THAT entire plugin is sort of useless without a totally different kind of plugin.
Rinse and repeat fast forwarding a few hours. I AM STILL GAME, DAMMIT! I find and replace everything. I backtrack a bit to turn all my sentences into real paragraphs or real paragraphs according to HTML. I open the file in my web browser. Something has happened and all my sentences run together. I've got dialogue back to back. Something like this: "Hi, Jane. How are you?""I've been written by a bunch munch. So I'm doing fine."
It's not the computer's fault. The computer only does what you've told it to do. So, of course, I did something because I'm game. I assumed if I formatted the paragraphs this meant, you know, Paragraphs. If I had double checked my English to HTML translator I would have known this spelled doom for the entire book.
Desperate, because my gut instinct was screaming at me, "You'll have to do everything all over again." And a voice that sounds a little like Inigo Montoya starts whispering, "Back to the beginning." I search far and wide for a solution that will undo the Format Paragraph Legion of Doom. There's nothing in the Help installed on the program nor at their website. I start searching the forums they have to see if anyone else was as Game as I was.
You guessed it...of course not. I now start copying and pasting to see if I can leap from file to file, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping the next copy and paste will be my leap home.
Refer to Murphy's Law. I have to start over, all the way back to the Word doc.
That's ok. I've gotten this far despite all the mishaps. I AM STILL F***ING GAME DAMMIT!!!!!
Like all things that require a learning curve, the second time around is much easier. I don't even breathe anywhere near the Format Paragraph Legion of Doom. I get through all the steps. I save. I open the file in my internet browser.
And there is my first e-book. It needs a little tweaking here and there, but...I've got an e-book, dammit. I finish the rest of the steps, which involves checking your code in various e-book formats. And the book is still there, needs a little tweaking...but an e-book, dammit.
The moral of the story--Butt In Chair Hands On Keyboard.